The Brilliance of Resilience
After seven years of preparation, Alan Hobson’s first self-organized and corporately sponsored $500,000 expedition to Mt. Everest missed the summit by 3,000 feet when his team’s high camp was blasted off the mountain by gale force winds. Instead of becoming disheartened and giving up, he used the hard-won lessons from his expedition to begin again more intelligently. Three years later he was back to Everest with half the budget of his first expedition, half the personnel and no bottled oxygen. This time his team missed the top by just two city blocks. His team members decided to try to rescue him rather than continue blindly for the summit. Undeterred, another three years of intense fundraising, training and organizational work later, he returned a third time to Everest and finally made it safely to and from the summit.
Three years after reaching the top of the world, he found himself at the bottom when he was diagnosed with the very aggressive blood cancer, acute leukemia, and given less than a year to live. Again however, Alan defied the skeptics and made a 100% recovery. Today he has been leukemia-free for over 12 years and is one of less than a few dozen people in the world ever to have regained an elite level of fitness under these circumstances. Through the brilliance of resilience, Alan shows audiences how to triumph in turbulent times and turn setbacks into comebacks.
- Leadership From Within
- What It Takes to Win
- Climb Back From Cancer
- The Triumph of Teamwork
- The Power of Preparation
- Rising to the Challenge of Change
- More Customized Programs Upon Request
About Alan Hobson:
Why Alan Hobson is The Best Speaker in the World at Creating Custom-Built Presentations
Because of Alan’s trademark ability to individually personalize every presentation to the specific needs of each group, in 25 years of speaking he has never given the same presentation twice. Using an exhaustive 5-Step Personal Preparatory Research Process, he carefully studies each audience. After he has ensured the 100% accuracy of the information he has collected, he commits it to memory and blends it in perfect context into each presentation. The result is a one-of-a-kind program with unparalleled organizational and individual applicability and impact.
- Summited Mt. Everest May 23, 1997 during his 3rd non-guided, corporately sponsored and self-organized Everest expedition
- 1st expedition (’91) missed the top by 3,000 vertical feet; 2nd (’94) by just two city blocks when his team decided to rescue a critically ill teammate rather than continue to the top
- Three years after summiting Everest, at 42, was diagnosed with acute leukemia (an aggressive blood cancer) & given less than a year to live
- At diagnosis, 90% of the cells in his bone marrow were cancerous. Endured more than 500 hours of chemotherapy as an in-patient, including 120 hours of high dose chemotherapy to eliminate his immune system. 2000: successful adult blood stem cell transplant from his donor brother, Eric. One of less than a few dozen people to regain an elite level of fitness after such a transplant
- Completely cancer-free for over nine years; officially medically cured
- Member, 10 high altitude mountaineering expeditions worldwide, including successful ascents of the highest peaks in North & South America (all non-guided)
- Former 9-time “All-American” gymnast; member of 6 U.S. national championship-winning gymnastics teams
- International bestselling author of 6 books, including Climb Back from Cancer. More in works on Cancer Survivorship and Caregiving
- Co-creator: The 10 Tools of Triumph for survivors & caregivers – 10 key psychological skills to survive life-threatening illness & thrive beyond it. World’s first Climb Back from Cancer Coach
- Professional speaker / author; clients include scores of Fortune 100 & 500 companies, including Johnson & Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline, Merrill Lynch, New York Life & many others
- Considered the best speaker in the world at creating custom-built presentations;